Core Industry Training collects and stores personal information on our students and industry clients. We comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth). This business process describes how we collect, manage, use, disclose, protect, and disposes of personal information in accordance with the thirteen Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) outlined in Schedule 1 of the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012.
Under the Privacy Act 1988, personal and sensitive information is defined as follows:
Personal information: “information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
(a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
(b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.”
“(a) information or an opinion about an individual’s:
(i) racial or ethnic origin, or
(ii) political opinions, or
(iii) membership of a political association, or
(iv) religious beliefs or affiliations, or
(v) philosophical beliefs, or
(vi) membership of a professional or trade association, or
(vii) membership of a trade union, or
(viii) sexual preferences or practices, or
(ix) criminal record, that is also personal information; or
(b) health information about an individual; or
(c) genetic information about an individual that is not otherwise health information; or
(d) biometric information that is to be used for the purposes of automated biometric verification or biometric identification; or
(e) biometric templates”
Authority to collect and store information
Core Industry Training is an approved Registered Training Organisation by the Australian Skills Quality Authority. This registration is issued under the authority of the National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Act 2011. This legislation requires Core Industry Training to collect personal and sensitive information from its students. This requirement is specified in the Data Provision Requirements 2011 which is one of five legislative instruments that Core Industry Training must comply with as a condition of its registration.
The date provision requirements require Core Industry Training to collect data from students in accordance with the Australian Vocational Education and Training Management Information Statistical Standard (AVETMISS). This is a complex information standard that defines information about who the student is, where the training is delivered and what they are studying. The Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015 require Core Industry Training to retain and store this information for up to 30 years and to report training activity to government agencies in accordance with mandatory reporting requirements.
Together these requirements form a statutory obligation to collect, store and report information of any student participating in nationally accredited training. The publications referred to in this section can be accessed from the Australian Skills Quality Authority website.
Collection and use
Core Industry Training Group collects personal information, either directly or indirectly, that is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to its delivery of the services it offers. Some of the information collected may be regarded as ‘sensitive’ as defined by the Privacy Act. In broad terms the kinds of personal information and purposes for which it is collected are:
· Contact information such as name, organisation, position, address, telephone, and email are collected for marketing, support services, mandatory reporting and for communicating with stakeholders as part of our day to day operation.
· In addition to information collected training activity, Core Industry Training will also collect, store and report information relating to satisfaction surveys, complaint handling and on our client employers.
· Student personal and sensitive information as well as training activity information is prescribed by the AVETMIS Standard. This information is collected directly from our students using enrolment forms which may be paper based or electronic and other administrative forms including but not limited to complaint forms, recognition application, request for refund, transfer application, etc. Much of this information is entered into our student management software called “PowerPro”. Hard copy records are retained within our student files.
· Survey responses are collected using Employer and Learner Satisfaction Surveys which are issued both in electronic format. Returned surveys are imported directly into the Student Management System.
· Enquiry information from prospective students including personal contact information is collected directly from individuals who make data requests either by telephone or email in person or via our website.
Personal information collected by that may be regarded as ‘sensitive’ under the Privacy Act includes:
· ‘Disability’ and ‘long-term impairment status’ (health); and ‘indigenous status’, ‘language spoken at home’, ‘proficiency in spoken English’, ‘country of birth’ (implies ethnic/racial origin). This information is specified in the AVETMISS data elements and is collected for the national VET data collections, national VET surveys, and may be collected for VET-related research.
· ‘Dietary requirements’ (health-related) are collected for event catering purposes only.
Core Industry Training respects an individual’s right not to receive marketing material. Core Industry Training conducts its marketing communications and dissemination of service information in accordance with Australian Privacy Principle 7 (Direct marketing), the Spam Act 2003 (in respect of electronic communications), and the Do Not Call Register Act 2006. It is not, however, Core Industry practice to ‘cold call’ for the purpose of marketing its products and services.
All contact from Core Industry Training marketing team is initiated by the student or potential student. Contact details are only provided by individuals where they have initiated an enquiry.
Google Analytics and cookies
The Core Industry Training web servers automatically log information such as server address, date and time of visit and web pages accessed. No personal information is recorded. These logs are used for website management and improvement.
Unsolicited personal information
If Core Industry Training should receive unsolicited personal information, it will be treated and managed according to the Australian Privacy Principles.
Notification of collection
Core Industry Training aims to notify individuals of the collection of their personal information before, or at the time of collection, or as quickly as possible thereafter. Notifications are usually in writing, but may be verbal for telephone.
– Marketing– notification is provided on our website course application page. Individuals are also notified at the time of collecting personal information for events.
– Quality Indicator survey – notification is provided in the letter of invitation to participate in the surveys and also at the time of collecting the information.
Disclosure of personal information
Core Industry Training does not disclose personal information other than for the purpose for which it was collected, or an individual has consented to a secondary purpose, or an individual would reasonably expect this (such as receiving communications about upcoming events), or if required by law.
We may share personal information with the Commonwealth government in accordance with Commonwealth contractual obligations. In these circumstances we will take reasonable steps to inform and seek consent from the individuals concerned and take all reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient handles the personal information according to the APPs.
Core Industry Training does not sell its mailing lists to third-parties for marketing purposes or on sell
personal information to overseas recipients. While people around the world can access material published on our website, no statistical or research publications contain identifiable personal information.
Management of personal information
Core Industry Training endeavours to ensure the personal information it collects and uses or discloses is accurate, up to date, complete and relevant. We routinely update the information held in our systems, as well as periodically checking with stakeholders if their personal contact details have changed.
Access to and correction of personal information
Individuals may, subject to the exceptions prescribed by the Australian Privacy Principles, request access to and correction of their personal information where this is collected directly from individuals by Core Industry Training. There is no charge for giving access to or for correcting personal information. Requests for access to or correction of personal information should be made in writing. Requests will be answered within 14 business days.
Information retention and disposal
Personal information is held in electronic and paper format:
– Information collected from student enrolment applications and survey responses is held in our Student Management System.
– Names and contact details collected during the delivery of services may be held either in electronic form or in paper documents which are locked in cupboards and filing cabinets.
– Backup copies of all electronic files held are kept in the event of system failure/loss. All backup copies of system files are secured.
Core Industry Training retains personal information as prescribed by regulating and funding bodies. Certification documentation is retained for 30 years When personal information is no longer necessary for Core Industry Training business functions, and it is lawful to do so, we securely destroy the information.
Core Industry Training takes active steps to protect personal information from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
· Core Industry Training systems and internal network are protected from unauthorised access using appropriate technologies. The inherent risks associated with data transmission over the internet are, however, commonly acknowledged. Individuals, who do not wish to provide their personal information via the online website forms have the option of mailing this information to Core Industry Training.
· Access to our Student Management System is protected through user log-on and password, and assignment of user access rights.
· Any third-party providers are all located within Australia and are required to be compliant with the Australian Privacy Principles and offer appropriate safeguards to protect personal information.
· Core Industry Training premises and data storage systems are fully secured. Paper documents containing names and addresses are required to be locked away and shredded when destroyed. All hardware is properly ‘sanitised’ before disposal.
Complaints and concerns
Complaints or concerns about Core Industry Training management of personal information should be directed in writing to Core Industry Training General Manager who will respond in writing within 14 business days.